Friday, May 05, 2006



The Power of Dreams

Thoreau encouraged each of us to go confidently in the direction of our dreams and live the life we've imagined. I use his words as one of my guiding principles when working with my clients. Each of us has dreams--some have been misplaced and are growing dusty, while others are in the process of being realized. As you have read already, the symbol I use to capture hopefulness and instill confidence in my clients as they move forward in their self-growth is the little flying piggy. For me, all the things Thoreau spoke of are represented in my pink, flying pig.

In my work with my clients, I help them to clarify their goals and together we work toward laying the foundation in order to achieve their goals. We work in an alliance with each other--I serve as the cheerleader, confidante, and keeper of the dream while my client works toward the realization of their goal. For the client, the going is sometimes easy and fast--they lose those 10 lbs or they get the job promotion they were afraid to ask for. For most folks though, the going is slow and hard and the client questions whether they should keep up the effort. "Is this the right step?" "What if I fail?" "I should just be happy with the way things are..." These are the doubts and questions I help my client navigate through. It may take months or years for them to achieve their big goal, but when they do I am there celebrating it with them!

Next weekend I will be celebrating one of those big achievements with one of my clients. I first met "Debbie" eight years ago when she was having difficulty with her youngest son "Adam" (the names and identifying information have been changed to protect confidentiality). Debbie was a single mom, living on the outskirts of town in a trailer house with her six children ranging in age from 7 to 16. Adam was the youngest, built like a small bull with a temper to match. He was getting in trouble at school for fighting with his classmates and swearing at his teachers. At home he punched holes in the walls and took out his anger on his siblings and physically struck out at his mom. At the beginning of my work with Debbie and her family, I spent time with Adam helping him to put words, rather than his fists, to his feelings. He was also referred to our med clinic for psychostimulants and speech therapy due to a severe speech problem. Over the course of our years together, I worked with each of the family members at one point or another.

Debbie supported the family as a cashier in a large store in town and early on in our work together she expressed a desire to get a college education. She wanted to be able to provide her family with more than she was able to as a cashier and she noted she had been a good student in high school. I encouraged her to begin to take a class or two at the community college as her schedule permitted. She wasn't sure what she wanted to major in, but she was interested in working with children with special needs. Nearly each semester, over the following years, she was able to take a class or two and worked the night shift while her two older children looked after the younger ones. One year she wasn't able to take any classes because of the problems with Adam and her not being able to take off work. During another semester she was unable to take any courses or see me because she didn't have reliable transportation--their old car was continually breaking down and leaving her stranded.

Despite these challenges Debbie maintained her sense of self-assuredness and intention and kept her focus on one day being awarded her college diploma. Debbie's oldest daughter began taking courses with her and the two of them encouraged each other during the rough spots to keep going. Two years ago she and her daughter were admitted to a university here and Debbie began working to obtain her degree in Social Work. On Tuesday I received an invitation in the mail to attend Debbie's college graduation. She and her daughter will walk the stage together and Debbie will receive her diploma on her 45th birthday. I will be there cheering with the other proud members of the audience as we celebrate the accomplishments of the Class of 2006!

Debbie's story is a great one for all of us to hold in our hearts. It is a story of keeping the dream alive while taking methodical steps toward the realization of that dream despite the obstacles that get in our way. If this woman, a single mom of six, can achieve her greatest dream, just imagine what you can accomplish for yourself. Isn't today a beautiful day for YOU to fly with confidence toward the realization of your dreams?

Thought for the Day: What can you do this week to begin to take methodical steps toward the achievement of your big dream?

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. --Thoreau

No comments: