Friday, July 28, 2006



Be the Change and the Power of Purple

Wednesday evening I ran into a former client whom I hadn't seen in a long time. K beamed as she hugged me and began excitedly to fill me in on all that has occurred since we last spoke. K hired me last Fall to help her flesh out an idea she had for a merchandise line. During this last presidential election and the ragged, red and blue patchwork display of the not-so-United States, K envisioned a united perspective in which the red and blue states merged to become a beautiful and calming shade of purple. Rather than individuals desperately clutching to and defending specific political ideology, why not unite for peace?

For several months we worked on bringing this idea to life. By January she was feeling a bit scared and ambivalent about whether her vision would take hold in the imaginations of the general public. She was consumed with worry about whether her idea was viable and she decided to take a break from coaching to allow herself some gestational time to see what direction her idea would take her. Over the past several months I wondered how she was doing and Wednesday night I was thrilled to have the opportunity to see her again. To put it briefly, this former client o'mine has allowed herself to not only envision her dreams but she has allowed them to take flight!

K used our work together to serve as a foundation for her next steps. Rather than remain paralyzed in fear and ambivalence, she stepped up to embrace chance and opportunity. Her motto is "Be the change you wish to see in the world" and she is now walking her talk. By the, not always easy, act of opening up her mind and heart, she is beginning to attract people and opportunity into her life which will allow her to fulfill her greatest dreams. Her belief in herself and confidence in her creativity has allowed her to shift out of stifling paralysis and into a place of empowerment. She has launched her new website: www.purplestatesforpeace.com where she offers a line of merchandise related to peace and unity.

As she related her phenomenal progress, I couldn't help but be swept up by her excitement and energy as she recounted the events of the past several months. Tears sprung to my eyes as I listened to her and realized I was witnessing a new birth. She has allowed her dormant creative side to emerge, be nurtured and be given an opportunity to touch and impact others. K commented that my role as life coach was similar to that of a midwife: I gently facilitated the birth of her new life and new direction.

I smiled as I walked away from that sidewalk encounter. For the remainder of this week my heart has been singing as I replay her words in my mind. I can honestly say there is no greater high for me than to see my clients achieve their dreams. I am energized by my clients' successes and I feel privileged to accompany them on their journey toward greater fulfillment and joy.

I hope that you, too, are inspired and energized by this account. Check out her website, and share the story with your friends and family. Just imagine what you will achieve for yourself with a little bit of encouragement and support? What's your dream and are you ready to make it happen?

Thought for the Day: What is a dream of yours you would like to breathe life into? What shifts in thinking do you need to make in order to move that dream from it's current residence in your head, to making it a part of your life?

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." --purplestatesforpeace.com

No comments: