Thursday, July 05, 2007



Gems from the Sea
I am finally settled into the peace and quiet of our little place on the Cape. The family and guests have come and gone and hosting the 4th of July BBQ for my husband's students last night went without a hitch. I am looking forward to some leisurely strolls on the sandy beaches close to home in search of whatever gifts the sea offers up to me today. One of my most favorite things to do when I am near a shore is to hunt for pieces of beach glass. Upon return from a hunt, I deposit my little jewels into a clear glass lamp which, I hope, will someday be filled with pieces of beautiful, polished glass.

I find it amazing that what one considers garbage at one point in time can become something one seeks out and treasures at another point. Broken bits of beer bottles and pottery become treasures after spending months being tumbled, smoothed and polished in the surf and sand. Sometimes the glass pieces are large and obvious, washed upon the sandy plain, while at other times, I must concentrate and focus on small areas of sand in order find a shard of blue or green glass.

The search for the colored chips is a bit like life itself. It is easy to go through the day oblivious of beauty and specialness present in our lives. It is only when we slow down and turn our attention to what and whom we are surrounded by that we can be appreciative for what we have. What at first glance seems to be void of any surprises or beauty, upon closer inspection holds a treasure trove of wonderful things. Each day I walk on the beach, I look for my gift of the day: a piece of light green glass shaped like a bird, a whelk shell, a seagull feather, a small starfish or an interesting piece of driftwood. With each deep breath of salty air, I feel cleansed, renewed and invigorated and I give thanks for the opportunity to be surrounded in such beauty each summer.

Thought for the Day: Today slow down and take a closer look at the beauty that surrounds you. What can you consider your gift of the day?

The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. To dig for treasures shows not only impatience and greed, but lack of faith. Patience, patience, patience, is what the sea teaches. Patience and faith. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach -- waiting for a gift from the sea.
--Anne Morrow Lindbergh

No comments: