Thursday, October 20, 2005

Look Ma! It's an Angel!

This morning I had an amazing opportunity to be on a local radio station to share with the listening parent-audience how to broach the uncomfotable subject of talking to your kids about sex. It was alot of fun and I hope to have the opportunity again to reach a broad audience to educate folks about navigating the rocky road of parenting, life transitions and life in general.

Later as I went for my morning run with my dog, Zeebo, I reflected on the "dots" which lead to this opportunity. The seeds of this invitation were planted nearly one year ago, and at that time, I would have never in a million years guessed that I would one day be invited to speak to a radio audience about coaching.

Reflect back on opportunities in your own life in which "a call came out of the blue", or an amazing opportunity presented itself thanks to a contact you made weeks, months or even years before. I feel that the most magical and exquisite experiences come from those situations in which I have no expectation of a mind-altering or life-altering event. I attribute these events to "angels".

Now, before you start to wonder what I had in my morning coffee, I use the term "angel" somewhat loosely. I am not talking about little chubby asexual babies with wings holding itsy bitsy bows and arrows hovering above my head. I am talking about those individuals in our lives (whether they be acquaintances or loved ones) who truly offer us opportunities to broaden our minds and experiences.

I imagine we are surrounded by angels holding imaginary cards with dots (kind of like domino dots)--waiting for the opportunity to change our lives for the better--to offer us a new perspective or opportunity. One angel holds up a card and the next one holds up a card that matches, which opens up to another dot combination, and we are off and running!

Angels are the people you want on your "team". They are the ones who offer support, encouragement, new perspective, helpful suggestions and new opportunity. Angels are partners, spouses, siblings, children, coaches, and others in your community.

Angels are all around us--we simply need to open our hearts and minds to the opportunities they offer us. I plan to have plenty of angels in my midst at all times! So here's a huge thanks to some of my "angels": my family, my clients, Sarah, Karen, Claudia, and Mindy. You all ROCK!!!

Thought for the Day: Who are a few of the angels in your midst? Take time to thank those angels for what they have done for you.


The people you need to help you make your dream come true are everywhere and within your reach. --Marcia Wieder

No comments: